- Change school became a powerful space for people to have powerful conversations about school.
- Change school brings a level of transparency and honesty that is really powerful.
- Have an ongoing conversation with people who have similar ideas and understandings and have had experiences to make it possible.
- People feel trusted inside this community.
- It can be a difficult conversation about what modern learning should look like.
- Constant learning is fascinating.
- Tried to create some space for people to connect who don’t have room for that in their physical spaces.
- It is very dependent on whether people are school leaders or something else.
- The dark ages of change - leadership from the middle.
- People who can be influencers - parents, students,
- suddenly it’s not just about one teacher or one principal.
- How to get parent and student feedback.
- You often see yourself very isolated in a school.
- People are looking for direct prompts and cues
- So much of the educational conversation is led by journalists and politicians. We have to stop that.
- People respond with a blank look to a blank slate because they don’t have the practice at it.
- Modern Learners Lens
- Existing schools - best vehicle for communication is your students.
- We’ve conditioned kids to do what we say.
- The notion of setting expectations.
- If we’re going to shift the goalpost, we need to spend a lot of time talking to parents about the what and the why.
- TED Podcast
- Do we trust kids?
- Four areas that we have to think hard about - Modern Learners Lens
- Schools don’t know what they believe, they don’t articulate what they believe
- Understand how literacy is changing.
- Understand what is actually possible in schools now.
- Peter Senge
- Most change efforts are not grounded in those conversations.
- Modern Learner Community
- Change.school for more information
- How to be a transformative principal?
- Bruce: Engage more deeply in the spaces we already referred to.
- Will: Have a willingness to see if you are actually doing what you believe in your classrooms!
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey