Derek McCoy is a middle school principal in Georgia, and a fellow Digital Principal of the Year. He is also the coauthor of “The Revolution: It’s Time To Empower Change In Our Schools”
- We still sit in rows, we still deliver everything the same as we always.
- The time for shifting is over.
- Shift gives comfort, but we’ve got to make some change for our kids.
- We’re asking adults to change.
- 3 R’s is how we conduct business, and it always has been. That’s not going anywhere.
- We also know better.
- Shifting from the three R’s
- Passion - finding something that you’re passionate about. You might have some parents that can’t get into all the fundamental three R’s.
- When you’re passionate about it, you don’t give up.
- There is a disconnect with schools and parents now.
- We know better. We know how the brain works. Learning is more social than it is memorization.
- Don’t be the teacher you had as a student,
- It’s about learning new, and trying new for our learners.
- Change is going to happen, so we can embrace that change for our students.
- How do we get the whole system to change?
- The revolution@ries primary responsibility to build a vision!
- Committing to learner-centered change!
- Find your pusher who is going to support you through it and ground your thinking.
- Significant change is relative.
- Survey and talk to kids?
- Getting learner input.
- Control vs. Trust
- 5 core values: communicators, collaborators, __, have integrity, act with purpose
- Giving kids opportunity to provide input.
- Ask the kids, “How do you see this working?“
- How to be a transformative principal? Get into classrooms. Spend half your day in there talking to kids. Let that be the formative assessment for how you
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey