Safety. Connection. Learning. with Teri Barila Transformative Principal 177
You ain’t getting to learning until that student is regulated
Building adult skills to support trauma-impacted youth with Teri Barila Transformative Principal 178
Resilience - #1 strategy attachment to a caring adult.
Nurturance is reparative and restorative
Teri Barila is the Children’s Resilience Initiative Director.
- Toxic Stress impacts our brain development and architecture
- Brain developed to protect that individual.
- When you feel threatened, you go to that brain stem.
- How we look at behavior from a different lens.
- It’s not what’s wrong with this person
- What has this person experienced that I can manage to support him or her.
- Regulatory skills needed for kids.
- Body already understands that you are being threatened.
- Body shuts down all other functions to be supportive.
- Use the same response systems as a child.
- Understanding our brain architecture.
- Language centers are disconnected when they are in stress.
- Provide opportunities to calm down.
- You ain’t getting to learning until that student is regulated.
- We further escalate that response by sending the student out.
- When we recognize that behavior is a call for help, we will move from punishment to regulation.
- How to teach regulation to students.
- Teach them how their brain works.
- Don’t wait until they are in high school to teach self-regulation.
- Recognize, validate, and manage their feelings.
- Where are you as you’re walking into my classroom.
- What’s going on in your world?
- Mantras, other ways to regulate.
- It’s all about being present with the child.
- Noticing, naming, validating, managing their feelings.
- We forget to notice that kids are escalating.
- Rather than punishing a child for having a feeling…
- Do you have enough skills to manage the feelings
- What to do when they are escalated.
- When one is having trouble, we don’t alienate, we try to help.
- Welcome slip - “We’re glad you’re here. Welcome to school.”
- Safety. Connection. Learning.
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Join my group coaching program
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey