Part time curriculum director in a rural school district and part time consultant.
- How to stay on top of so many content areas.
- Framework for quality curriculum
- Instructional priorities.
- Looking at research and finding what’s current.
- Best practices
- Nearly all PD was sit and get.
- Spiraling themes of professional development.
- Able to provide effective supports
- Gradual release of responsibility.
- I do, we do, y’all do, you do.
- Practice feedback reflection
- That’s what we’ve always done.
- Peer observation isn’t always received very well.
- Timeline of job-embedded PD.
- August 1/2 day with 60 teachers as a pilot on classroom questioning
- Cohorts of 4-6 teachers in each cohort - meet for 1/2 day with that cohort. Host teacher presents lesson. Facilitator asks questions.
- Review of data points that people collected after observing a lesson.
- Scripting - What did the teacher say, what did the kids say?
- Share data, review host teacher’s goals and visit a new one each month.
- Don’t invite administrators to take part in the process
- Walkthroughs at the end of the year. Leadership team looks for strengths and growths for that teacher.
- Need to make sure your professional development is making it to the classroom.
- Effective to have a coach position be able to support the group.
- Give principals patterns in aggregated data.
- Principals engage in final conversation in the year.
- How to be a transformative principal? Be intentional about supporting teacher’s growth.
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Join my group coaching program
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey