Pedro Noguera is a sociologist by training and is a professor at UCLA. Center For The Transformation Of Schools.
- Once we have trust and respect, we can start having hard conversations.
- You can only have conversations like that that don’t come off as judgment if you have trust.
- We should ask parents to do things for which they have adequate resources.
- How do we find the kids that need the most help.
- The challenge is getting to know each child.
- None of this is easy.
- Meets with each student every day.
- When kids are known, they behave differently.
- The sense of belonging is so essential to kids’ success.
- Forging relationships through extra activities.
- John’s Hopkins University Talent Development High School. Robert Belfants. Interest inventory to start kids.
- Age and class determines where they go.
- The model we have created does not allow us to meet the needs of children.
- Any kid who came in with a criminal record in the high school would get a mentor.
- First days of school community building days.
- It’s part of building strong sense of community.
- Human beings don’t do well in isolation.
- Relationships save lives.
- How to be a transformative Principal? To really focus in on the culture of their schools.
- Culture is about values, norms, how people are treated every day.
- Create a culture that affirms the importance of children.
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey