Jeff Zoul and Anthony McConnell are the authors of The Principled Principal: 10 Principles for Leading Exceptional Schools.
- Anthony followed in Jeff’s role as assistant superintendent and is now going to be the superintendent of the district.
- Being part of the development process for four years set Anthony on the right course.
- How Jeff helped prepare Anthony for success in moving into his new role.
- I believe in always being innovative and always getting better.
- The Harmony principle.
- Some people think they thrive when they are in crisis mode, but their schools do not.
- Thinking I was supporting the teacher, I was equally elevated with the teacher.
- How to stay calm when inside you are seething.
- You get better with practice. Focus on the real issue.
- Don’t come with the answer already decided on in your head.
- How can I help? Ask this question often.
- What you have to leave the conversation with is integrity.
- It’s not about the nail.
- Trust - if you don’t have trust, you don’t have a whole lot.
- Address underperformance: It isn’t fun, but the best principals do that.
- Doing what you say you’re going to do.
- When the leadership does it, other people feel comfortable holding people accountable.
- What sort of actions do you take so that people know you care about them?
- 5 faculty values statements: “We will…”
- I’m going to lead the way by asking you to hold me accountable.
- How to be a transformative principal? Anthony - make your school more welcoming. Take a walk around.
- How to be a transformative principal? Jeff - be super visible in the school. I’m not trying to be right, I’m trying to the right thing.
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey