Dec 16, 2020
–15th year in education
Building Principal at Spring Hill Middle School, Spring Hill,
Teacher & Instructional Coach Blue Valley School, Overland
National Board Certified Teacher
- Kansas Podcast - KPA
- Communication director of Kansas Principal Association.
- Teachers in emergency learning environment.
- Didn’t have a way to ensure learning was taking place.
- You asked, we answered session in the summer focusing on best
practices for learning in a pandemic.
- August planning to support good remote learning.
- Extra 12 days of professional development. And COVID
- High Yielding Remote practices.
- Prioritizing content standards
- Integrating past content. Flashback flash forward.
- What we didn’t want to do is front load all the work for the
kids. Just in time learning.
- Technology training and professional training
- It’s not the way people thought it was going to be done.
- Specific questions to help teachers articulate the challenges
they were facing.
- What support can we provide?
- How to help teachers articulate their feelings.
- Gave questions a few days in advance to help them be
- Met with 20 teachers over the course of a week.
- Worried about specific kids.
- It’s really hard to support kids that are around. Kids aren’t
retaining it as well as they could.
- Got leadership together and asked what makes sense going
- Allowed them time to talk about kids.
- Go slow to go fast.
- Pivoted this week to prioritize what teachers were doing.
- Give them time to talk with each other.
- The things you would have done, you’re not even thinking about
- I just miss kids talking.
- Prioritize their standards.
- Make it a culture week.
- Giving people time to be honest and talk.
- We’ve got to find a way to create opportunities for people to
have fun with each other.
- How to be a transformative principal? Reach out to a colleague
that you haven’t spoken to in a while and connect with them.
Innovative school leaders across the country have started
tracking online student participation using TeachFX because it’s
one of the most powerful ways to improve student outcomes during
COVID — especially for English Learners and students of color.
Learn more about TeachFX and get a special offer at TeachFX.com
Today’s Transformative Principal sponsor, John Catt Educational,
amplifies world-class voices on timeless topics, with a list of
authors recognized globally for their fresh perspectives and proven
strategies to drive success in modern schools and classrooms.
John Catt’s mission is to support high-quality teaching and
learning by ensuring every educator has access to professional
development materials that are research-based, practical, and
focused on the key topics proven essential in today’s and
Learn more about professional development publications that are
easy to implement for your entire faculty, and are both quickly
digestible and rigorous, by visiting
Learn more about some of the newest titles:
John Catt is also proud publisher of the new book from
Transformative Principal host Jethro Jones:
SchoolX: How principals can design a transformative school
experience for students, teachers, parents – and themselves
Visit this page to learn more about bulk orders and how to bring
John Catt’s research-based materials to your school: