Scott Ellis is the founder and CEO of Mastery Track, which is a software program to help teachers use mastery-based grading in their schools.
- Applied analytics at Hewlett Packard.
- Teacher mentoring programs.
- Blended and personalized learning for the last 7 or 8 years.
- What contribution could I make?
- Look at scale and what that might look like?
- How to use technology as the core process that everyone can access and use for learning.
- Making lots of progress on certain areas, but still having good access to the data is one area we are still struggling.
- Anything more than individual student data is too much data.
- Data wave is crashing across education.
- We need to be crystal clear about what data we need?
- What does the student know?
- So what might we do next?
- Which ways of learning work best for them?
- Blended learning is combining great teaching with technology.
- There is a new job description for teachers in the 21st Century.
- It used to be that the teacher was the source of information, and now there are lots of ways for students to learn. There are so many more tools in the teacher’s toolkit.
- We all know they know different things and are in different places. It’s extremely difficult to do differentiation in that system.
- Teachers know things that nobody else knows. They know the children in front of them. The role of those teachers is to know how to use the variety of tools at their disposal to help kids learn as much as possible.
- The children are at different places in their learning.
- New tech makes things possible in new ways.
- Station rotation models. Individuals and small groups is where the magic happens.
- Effective educational practices that are happening when the teacher is not imparting instruction.
- Start with a dashboard: Where are they now?
- Second step: What are the next steps?
- Third Step: What is our action plan?
- Run a two-week cycle, where kids are learning certain things.
- How to be a transformative principal? Enable students to move at their own pace: learn about what that means, and genuinely embrace it, or start asking the questions to make that happen.
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey