Nov 15, 2015
Doug Timm is the principal of Carrie
Downie Elementary School
- First principalship - innovative technology, focus on
- Modern Teacher, Instructional Rounds. Cognitive growth targets
- Think beyond comprehension and recall.
- What is the teacher doing and assigning?
- 6 different centers, but all 6 focused on retrieving and
- How can we focus on more than the two basic levels?
- Charlotte’s Web in the city takes it up a level.
- Not all we are looking at, but major focus on tasks.
- I need to change what I am asking them to do to get them where
I want them to be.
- Importance of how kids think. Why we need to make sure our kids
are thinking beyond comprehending.
- Have to practice those skills.
- I don’t make inferences in observations anymore.
- Talk to kids during the observation. Sitting at a desk with the
- Coaches (2) and Doug are assigned to teachers
- Teacher Name, Task, Where it falls in blooms taxonomy.
- What can you do to be a transformative principal? Walk around
the building and see what focus you want to have: technology,
literacy, math, student ownership. What do we have and how do we
get to where we want to be? Keep the focus. There’s no end
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Ready for a Modern Web Site for your school? Simple School Sites
is the place to go for high quality Wordpress sites specially
designed for schools.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey