May 27, 2018
Bagley is a former principal of Career Path High. She is now
consulting now and working with Heather Staker on a project for
Acton Academy. She is also chair of Parents for Choice in
Education, located in Utah. You can email her here
- Acton Academy is an amazing model.
- Over 8,000 applications to start their own. How do we replicate
- How to approve partners and facilitate the success of their
- How do you help kids not blow everything off?
- In a traditional model, we’ve removed all the opportunities to
have kids lead.
- The first thing to think about is how to empower students.
- It kills their love for learning.
- You need to empower students.
- The second thing is to set up processes for
- It’s ok to fail as long as you are failing forward.
- Every student had a success coach with whom they met every
- Accountability: consequences like losing freedom and stopping
- Support: You must have good support systems in place. Lots of
processes in place to help them stay on pace and set their
- Three legs of a stool: Parents, students, school (teachers and
- We never apologize for bothering you with communication
- Four: give them something to be excited about in their pathway:
i.e., have your certification when you finished school.
- The light came back on.
- The success coach was the real piece of accountability each
week. Success coach had constant communication with parents,
- Give recognition with accountability.
- How to be a transformative principal? Collaborate with your
- Changing the culture from top-down directives to a