Feb 4, 2018
Pedro Noguera is
a sociologist by training and is a professor at UCLA. Center For The Transformation
- Author of
- If ideas are too abstract and we can’t address the practical
needs of kids then academia is in trouble.
- Address both the academic and non-academic needs of kids.
- Equality vs. Equity.
- Equality is treating everyone the same.
- It makes no sense in education because we know all kids are
- Equity is about understanding differences. It is not about
lowering the standards. Compensate for needs that kids that
- Adjust how we do homework to meet the needs of kids that are in
front of us.
- Don’t penalize kids because they don’t have the same
circumstances as someone else.
- Many kids are relational learners and they will learn better
with people they trust and care about.
- You start from the premise that we do best when we are in a
- The conditions for learning
- More likely to punish kids with the greatest needs.
- What sorts of things must we do to make edu equitable for
- Build a partnership with the family.
- Partnership must be rooted in trust and respect in order for it
to have success.
- Teachers get almost no training on how to work with parents,
especially when parents are from a different
- We don’t want to judge anyone.
- What we want is empathy. It is not pity, it is not looking down
on anyone. We don’t make excuses for them.
- When we act with empathy, we demonstrate that we care.
- How do we build empathy?
- “You know more about your child than I do. What can you tell me
about your child that will help me teach him or her.”
- It is important to let the parent know that we are aware of
- Parents want their child to be successful.
- It should Never be the case that the only time we talk with
parents is when children are in trouble.
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey