May 12, 2019
Michael Reichert is an
applied and research psychologist who has long been an advocate for
children and families. From counseling youth involved in the
juvenile justice system through experiences leading treatment teams
in a psychiatric hospital, all the while managing an independent
clinical practice, Dr. Reichert has tested his understanding of
children with practical, even life-saving, challenges.
- The stereotypes of women has changed significantly in the last
- There’s been very little to counteract stereotypes of men and
- Stereotypes shape boys’ lives early on.
- We cannot say that women are limited because of biology, but we
still say that about boys.
- When Boys become “Boys” - Judy Chu
- Started out as direct, authentic and able to articulate
themselves. Traveled from presence to pretense by way of
- Inauthentic and less willing to articulate their feelings.
- Conditioning comes from everywhere: teachers, parents,
- A man box study - messages about being a man. Stoic,
unemotional, strong, etc. Men more associated with man box
stereotypes were more prone to negative behaviors, including
- Schools play a profound role in organizing the messages about
what Men are.
- Every school is occupied by a hidden curriculum.
- Most educators feel as though they can’t get their arms around
- Boys have very little efficacy over the hidden curriculum.
Policed by other boys. Often receive subtle and not-so-subtle
redirection from adults and other boys.
- Student-teacher relationship and significance
- One-dimensional type of masculinity that is rewarded in school
- 1500-member study of boys and 1000 of their teachers. Tell us a
story about a relationship that went well and oe that didn’t go
- So reassuring that the mask can be taken away when they do have
- Relationships are transformative in three ways: practically,
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey