May 13, 2018
Matt Shea is the Matt portion of Personalized Learning with Matt
and Courtney, a podcast about, well, personalized learning. It is
one of my favorite new podcasts and you can find it at plearnmc.com
or in your favorite podcast player of choice!
- Matt is a district administrator in Maine
- Courtney is an instructional coach in Maine
- Worked in Maine for his whole career
- 10 schools in five communities
- Goal: set up same systems in schools - it didn’t work
- tenets of learning: applied learning
- How do we design that culture so that there’s a balance between
kids taking advantage of their own learning and teachers providing
a range of options?
- What teachers can provide in their place
- What works for you?
- District administrator as more of a support role
- Talk about the tenets a lot.
- “Cultivating hope in all learners”
- Culture is a number 1 thing for all of us.
- Designing a culture that involves the learners in their
- Progression of learning
- Social grade levels not academic grade levels
- Place students on an academic progression where they are, and
help them move forward.
- Continuous flexible grouping - School building and schedules
create a challenge for them.
- Tried to do schedules in all the same way.
- 15:16 We are the problem. We are the ones that have all the
- How do we get adults to be more like kids?
- What’s our ultimate goal?
- Guiding principles: They’ll find that information when they
with Seth Godin
- You don’t really fail, you just are where you are.
- It’s not just about the 80% of our kids that will do well no
matter what, but about all the students
- When she’s ready to take the next step, she’ll be ready for
College Career Readiness
- Many teachers have been teachers only.
- The “real world“ is something different to everyone.
- Provide kids with the skills and attitudes.
- How to be a transformative leader? Design a culture in your
building where it is ok to fail in a positive way. Failing upward.
Failing forward. Take away some of the negative aspects of what
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey