Joe Erpelding, principal of Design39Campus:
- Promotion Designer class - students are creating promotion experience
- 2 promoting classes in last two years
- the trouble with leadership in traditional models.
- Anyone who is interested in leadership gets to be part of Lead39.
- Students create leadership
- Experienceships energize
- How do we cram it all in?
- Covering the content vs experiencing the content.
- Enduring Learning through creativity, knowledge, identity.
- Design thinking process is an extension of the scientific method.
- Was the learning really “felt”?
- What does great teaching look like?
- What does great learning look like?
- MOUs to reshape the strict rules and regulations.
- Extensive Hiring Process: disorienting for anyone coming here.
- 4 step process - 1. e-tell 2. Design challenge with student 3. Typical interview 4. Performance task
- Onboarding process - historical documents of where we hoped to be.
- Balance between quicksand and concrete - how do you balance this?
- Steve Farver: Radical LEAP
- Competency-based learning - TK-8 - what is critical?
- Critical components that need to be covered before kids are ready for the next step.
- 1st graders collaborating
- Sense of self leads you to be able to communicate effectively.
- Learner centered lab school - can’t disconnect parents from the learning community.
- FutureNOW conference - parents are invited to be learners.
- How many tours are we giving to our current parents?
- TK-8 Experience
- Pain points - 100 kids leave
- Problem with us - communication around what a student is learning.
- What are we going to assess?
- Send home a progress report twice yearly.
- altschool learning platform.
- students can showcase their progress against competencies.
- What’s next instead of I’m done.
- allowing students to have variety in how they communicate what they learn.
- Giving kids access.
- Personal connection to mathematics can take a deep dive into mathematics.
- Daily morning collaboration 7:45-8:45
- Gift that we’ve given is time. We overstructure things.
- Still have the same time as their peers at other schools
- How to be a transformative principal? 10% - what am I willing to stretch myself to do tomorrow? What do I want to see this time next year?
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey