Clare Fulp is the principal of an Chugach Optional and we talk today about her work running a summer school program for refugee students in Anchorage, Alaska.
- School designed for new-to-country students
- Director of ELL for Anchorage School District
- Qtel institute
- No walls or doors between the classrooms, project-based learning, little direct instruction.
- Open learning
- How to set up the culture of a school for the success in an open classroom.
- Soft skills taught to kids.
- Seth Godin, Let’s stop calling them soft skills.
- Changed approach from just ELL teachers getting the gig.
- How to hire the right people for this position.
- Each team member is bringing their own strength to this group.
- Looking for great passion.
- Positive attitude.
- Self, Social, City, State, World
- Most Likely to Succeed
- Working with current K-6 students. 230 kids total.
- How to deal with refugees: have an open heart.
- An interest in the world.
- Couldn’t think past a day as a refugee.
- Misconceptions about language
- Vigotsky Zone of Proximal Development
- Kids are so much better at learning languages than adults.
- Younger/Elder approach
- Goal is not testing, but SEL, Math, and Literacy.
- Community engagement with the process - Community block party
- Teaching kids how to take care of their teeth.
- How to be a transformative principal? Connect with kids, know their names, It’s all about relationships.
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Join my group coaching program
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey