Pedro Noguera is a sociologist by training and is a professor at UCLA. Center For The Transformation Of Schools.
- Author of many books.
- If ideas are too abstract and we can’t address the practical needs of kids then academia is in trouble.
- Address both the academic and non-academic needs of kids.
- Equality vs. Equity.
- Equality is treating everyone the same.
- It makes no sense in education because we know all kids are different.
- Equity is about understanding differences. It is not about lowering the standards. Compensate for needs that kids that bring.
- Adjust how we do homework to meet the needs of kids that are in front of us.
- Don’t penalize kids because they don’t have the same circumstances as someone else.
- Many kids are relational learners and they will learn better with people they trust and care about.
- You start from the premise that we do best when we are in a community.
- The conditions for learning
- More likely to punish kids with the greatest needs.
- What sorts of things must we do to make edu equitable for kids.
- Build a partnership with the family.
- Partnership must be rooted in trust and respect in order for it to have success.
- Teachers get almost no training on how to work with parents, especially when parents are from a different
- We don’t want to judge anyone.
- What we want is empathy. It is not pity, it is not looking down on anyone. We don’t make excuses for them.
- When we act with empathy, we demonstrate that we care.
- How do we build empathy?
- “You know more about your child than I do. What can you tell me about your child that will help me teach him or her.”
- It is important to let the parent know that we are aware of their child.
- Parents want their child to be successful.
- It should Never be the case that the only time we talk with parents is when children are in trouble.
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey