Apr 21, 2018
Leslie Goodrum is the principal of General Tommy Franks
Elementary in Midland, Texas. Her school is a pilot school for the
project, where they are attempting to improve their culture by
adopting values based on authenticity, service, awareness, purpose,
vision, enthusiasm, perseverance, courage, faith, focus,
leadership, integrity. This is through Joe Tye’s Values Coach System
- Brand new campus and so setting the culture from the
- Crockett elementary - having accountability issues, so they
were shut down.
- It’s not the building that makes kids successful.
- District wide initiative for adults, but General Tommy Franks
Elementary is the first one doing it with kids as well.
- Every morning doing announcements, self-empowerment pledge.
Pickle pledge. Each student gets a bracelet for the value of the
- Vision is the core value for January, so they try to pull it in
- Encouraging parents to attend trainings as well.
- Pickle Pledge.
- Authenticity is the first value and kids are using it all
throughout the year. What is the thing you have done that is the
- Integrity - you’ve got to do the right thing, no matter who is
- Pickle Pledge - our pickles are happy pickles.
- Did you say it or did you mean it?
- Until you are ready to live it, you need to stop saying
- The Values give you a framework each month.
- Faith and purpose are needed conversations.
- Foundation and a framework for helping kids set goals.
- Parents are very supportive of what we are doing.
- Discipline problems are very few.
- Biggest challenge is making sure the value of the month is big
throughout the month.
- As the leader, I have to set the tone, because whatever I do,
everyone will follow.
- It’s not a program, it’s a way of life.
- How to be a transformative principal? Get into your classrooms,
be with your kids and teachers and be a great role model.
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey