Dec 16, 2018
- Change school became a powerful space for people to have
powerful conversations about school.
- Change school brings a level of transparency and honesty that
is really powerful.
- Have an ongoing conversation with people who have similar ideas
and understandings and have had experiences to make it
- People feel trusted inside this community.
- It can be a difficult conversation about what modern learning
should look like.
- Constant learning is fascinating.
- Tried to create some space for people to connect who don’t have
room for that in their physical spaces.
- It is very dependent on whether people are school leaders or
- The dark ages of change - leadership from the middle.
- People who can be influencers - parents, students,
- suddenly it’s not just about one teacher or one principal.
- How to get parent and student feedback.
- You often see yourself very isolated in a school.
- People are looking for direct prompts and cues
- So much of the educational conversation is led by journalists
and politicians. We have to stop that.
- People respond with a blank look to a blank slate because they
don’t have the practice at it.
- Existing schools - best vehicle for communication is your
- We’ve conditioned kids to do what we say.
- The notion of setting expectations.
- If we’re going to shift the goalpost, we need to spend a lot of
time talking to parents about the what and the why.
- Do we trust kids?
- Four areas that we have to think hard about - Modern Learners
- Schools don’t know what they believe, they don’t articulate
what they believe
- Understand how literacy is changing.
- Understand what is actually possible in schools now.
- Most change efforts are not grounded in those
- Modern Learner
- Change.school for more
- How to be a transformative principal?
- Bruce: Engage more deeply in the spaces we already referred
- Will: Have a willingness to see if you are actually doing what
you believe in your classrooms!
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey