Rachael and John George Both principals in Oregon share their experiences of turning around schools.
- The Three Amigos
- Sandy Green Elementary School - lowest 10% of the schools. Working with a well-known publisher on reading and writing, and it wasn’t going as well as they thought!
- Year 1 from 10%ile to 50%ile. Year 4 82%ile. With highest Free and Reduced lunch rate in the district.
- Honed in on systems and structures
- Full staff turnover in those four years.
- 3-4 year plan
- First thing you need to do is establish relationships.
- You’ve got to be the examiner of systems and structures.
- Identify holes in intervention and enrichment.
- Each building has its own issues.
- Three changes in the first year: 1. Slow 2. Integrated with content, but lost on the students 3. No engagement
- Students were passively sitting there, while the teacher was doing all the heavy lifting.
- Level of community involvement.
- Need to do different because we are teaching different students.
- How do we do different different?
- It’s supposed to be hard.
- Be the filter: teach to cause a positive result.
- Modified Danielson Rubric for evaluation. I can’t evaluate you in Domain 1 unless I see your lesson plans.
- You can’t be good with what you do without a game plan.
- Look at the standards and make them meaningful.
- New teachers out perform due to effective lesson plans.
- Need guidance and coaching and mentoring around lesson plans. Provides the opportunity for reflection in lesson plans and it makes them better as teachers.
- Lesson plans provide feedback on Professional Development - if we can’t see it reflected in lesson plans.
- Keeping your lesson plans to reflect on later.
- Planning formative assessment.
- CoTeach model - special education & ELL population
- Be in classrooms a lot.
Schedule a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours: Create your ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your life!
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher.
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and @TrnFrmPrincipal for the show.
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
Download Paperless Principal.
Take Control of your email
Transformative Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey