Apr 29, 2018
Tom Hoerr retired after leading
the New City School in St. Louis, Missouri, for 34 years and is now
the emeritus head of school. He teaches at the University of
Missouri St. Louis and holds a PhD from Washington University in
St. Louis he has written four books more than 100 articles
including the “Principal Connection” column in ASCD’s Educational
- 14 years principal connection column in Educational
- The principal job is so hard.
- There’s always more to be done, no matter how good we do
- Who you are is more important than what you know.
- Prepare kids for success in life, not just success in
- Been a principal long enough to see who kids became as
- There are five qualities we need to develop in students:
Empathy, Self-control, integrity, embracing diversity, and
- But how am I going to get my students’ kids to embrace
- At back to school nights and parent meetings throughout the
- 8:20: Write down the initials of people you know who you
consider to be successful.
- Turn to your neighbors in groups of three or four.
- Remind parents of what is truly a success.
- Strategy for focusing teachers on what we want them to
- 3x5 card, write down the initials of 2 or 3 teachers you’ve had
that are most important in your life. What did they do to make you
- What can you do with your class that will encourage your kids
to put your name down in 30 or 40 years?
a call with Jethro
Are you feeling like you are always behind at school? Do you
feel like you need about 2 more hours each day to accomplish
everything? Here’s how I help principals work manageable hours:
ideal week, so that you can leave work at work and enjoy your
Please take a moment to rate this podcast in
iTunes or on
Please follow me on Twitter: @jethrojones for the host and
Buy Communication Cards
Show notes on TransformativePrincipal.com
of your email
Principal on Stitcher
Refer A Principal
Best Tools for Busy Administrators Survey